Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Photos, cats and epiphanies

Yes, it has been a long time comming, but as I pomised, I finally have photos.
http://boisestate.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2020300&l=54b59&id=52300282

I decided that I didnt care for the way this website uploads photos, but just click the link above and you can see them. If you have any problems, please email me jennymontague@gmail.com

Things in xela are as crazy and wonderful as ever. One of the teachers at our school started a program here that helps to create libraries in some of the surrounding pueblos. It is an awesome organization and run by some great people. This last weekend, the org had a day of drawing, movie watching (ice age) and teaching about the importance of taking care of the earth and animals. Our group was invited to go and had a great time!! It was so much fun playing with the kids. Theresa, Annie and I taught some of the girls cats cradle (a popular game among girls in the states). Some of the boys even got into it! It was awesome!

Life at home has been a little frustraiting. I have been having a really hard time understanding my host family, and I had been getting really discouraged because after three weeks I couldnt understand them any better than the first day I arrived... until we went to help out with the kids. While we were there, I kept thinking that their accent was strangly similar to that of my host family, and once again, I couldnt understand anyone. I can not tell you how relieved I was to find out that they were actually speaking a different language!!! Many of the mayans here speak mum or kique (I am pretty sure I spelled both of those wrong). The language sounds completly different, because they use some spanish words, I thought it was all the same. I changed host families this weekend just to get a different experience, and now, I feel like I am fluent! Life is great!

Well, I had better get out of here. I need to get to studying. Hope you all are doing well! Keep the emails comming! I always love to hear how you are doing!

besitos,
Jenny
p.s. sorry about the spelling, as I am sure it is horrible. This computer is a little different and I cant figure out spell check or puncuation. I will try to get it fixed soon. :)

3 comments:

bEcKy said...

Hahaha! Poor Jenny! I different language? No wonder!

mom said...

Loved the pictures Jenny!!!

JMaffu said...

oooh, I posted under the wrong place.

Pictures are awesome, thanks for sharing.