Sunday, August 19, 2007

Santa Maria

A few moments in my life I know I will never forget. I get to add today to the list.
Today a group from spanish school decided it would be a good idea to hike to the top of a nearby volcano. I have spent the last ten minute staring at the computer screen trying to decide where to begin... words could not possibly do it justice.

We arrived at the base of the volcano around 0530 to start the journey. After the first hour or so of hiking, I gave up on taking pictures. Every step closer to the top was more beautiful, and I needed to save my batteries for the summit. After the the second hour of hiking, my legs were starting to feel a bit like jelly, but the scenery and conversation were both great distraction from the growing sensation of uncertainty of reaching the top that creeped up from my legs. After the 3rd hour, I turned my focus to the decent, realizing how treatourous it would be due to the slick, steep, terrain. After the 4th hour, I was hoping that the volcano would erupt and put me out of my misery. 4 hours, 50 minutes, 32 seconds after we started out little hike, I entered a new world.
When we started out the hike, there was not a cloud in the sky, but when we reached the top, they had completely surrounded us. One in a while, there would be a slight break in the clouds and we discovered just how high we had climbed that morning. It was unbelievable to be able to look over the top of the clouds and not be in a airplane!
Yes, I took pictures, and they suck compared to the real thing. But, as soon as I get a couple 4 hours free, I will battle the computer and get them posted.

Keep your stories coming! I much prefer to hear about your lives than ramble on about mine!!! :)
Love y´all,
Jenny

No comments: