Sunday, August 12, 2007

mayan ruins

¡Hola todos! ¿Qué pasa?
Yesterday, our group traveled to a near by pueble, huehuetenango to visit some myan ruins. It was supercool! One of the teachers accompanied us, and gave us a little rundown of the ruins (no pun intended). It was so intersting. We climbed to the top of one of the pyramids and found a circular pot-like thing. Our guide said it was where they collected the blood from human sacrafices(usually prisioners of war). She really wanted to impress upon usthat they did not have human sacrafices all the time (as is depictedin Mel Gibson´s movie), just when there was a new king, or some kindof celebration, or to pay for the pueblos sins. It seemed that she wanted to make it seem a little less gruesome, but then she told ushow they would take out the hearts and they would still be beating... personally I wouldn´t want to get on their bad side.
Classes are going well, I think. I know I´m making progress, but all of my confidence is crushed when I have dinner withmy family. They talk so stinking fast! It´s quite amazing. It is encouraging to know that others have been through the same process andcame out on the other side with a good working knowledge of spanish. I still have hope that I will get there.
So I realized that this email makes it sound like I never study. If only! I spend a good chunk of the day either at my little desk or ina café studying. If only I can make it through the past tense verbs, I think i´ll be in the clear. Well I´d better get. I´m meeting my friends to play ultimate. Yeah, that sounds bad too. But in my defense, I´ve spent about 3 or 4 hours today studying. I think I deserve a break! :)
Love you all!
Jenny

2 comments:

SCSlimBoise said...

The design of the Mayan pyramids is strikingly similar to the burial mastabas of ancient Egypt, particularly the Step Pyramid of King Djoser at Saqqara, near Cairo. Do the Guatamalan archeolgists suspect any contact between the two cultures?

Jenny said...

What a great question! The mayans were frightenly intelligent... their calander is a great example. Sadly, I haven´t heard of any comparisons between the two cultures, but if you do find out, I would love to hear about it!!!