Friday, August 3, 2007

buenos dias de xela!

At last! I have arrived! It is so good to finally have a place to stay for a while. I love traveling, but it´s nice to just stay put for a bit.
I arrived in Guatemala city wednesday and have been going non stop since. We (my volunteer group) stayed in a hostel the first night. It was wonderful! The owners were so kind to help out a few clumsy gringos. the next day, we had a 5 hour bus ride to xela (where I will be in language school for the next two months). Our group went to the school and ran into some other students who have been here for a few months. this is such a beautiful city! I love it already, and am learning so quickly:

Lesson 1: Canadians in Guatemala are super friendly and great tour guides!
We all went out to dinner ( with the canadian students) at a great italian restaurant, and after saw an amazing concert! It was a fantastic night!

Lesson 2: House keys break if you try to use them in houses that are not your own.
I walking home after the concert with one of my new compañeros and I got a little turned around. I found what I thought to be my host families house, and tried the key. The key fit, but wouldn´t turn and sadly they key broke. I knocked on the door and found an angry woman and child inside who were definitely not my host family. oops! Just a few more minutes of walking, and we found the house. I was relieved! :)

Well, I have to run, but I just wanted to let you all know that I arrived safely. I still haven´t figured out the phone thing, but I will soon. I love you all and miss you!
Jenny

No comments: