Sunday, July 13, 2008

Who is teaching who?

Hi Friends! How is everyone doing? Things are going quite well at the farm. We have been having incredible weather (cool breezy mornings with thunderstorms in the afternoons. Somehow the weather really sets the tone here.
Last week was my first experience teaching health classes. So maybe “teaching” wouldn’t be the best word choice. Last Friday, the school needed a fill in for first grade health class, and since I had taught health to 2nd and 3rd already that week, I figured that 1st would be a walk in the park. I have never made such a grave error in judgment. As I entered the 1st grade classroom, frowns instantly spread across the room along with shouts of “NO! Not you! We want to watch a movie!” Apparently, the regular teacher had promised them a movie, which I now believe to be some horrible form of hazing for new teachers. Trying to be upbeat I told the kids that we were going to read a story and then if they behaved we could draw afterwards and them go run around on the soccer field. The boy to my right stuck his hands over his ears with elbows pointed outwards and shouted “I’M NOT GOING TO LISTEN”, immediately climbed under his desk and laid on the floor. Three other children followed suit, while the rest of the class started crying and/or yelling that they didn’t like to read and wanted to watch a movie. It was so over the top that I couldn’t help but laugh out loud (that didn’t go over so well) and expected the camera crew to come out shouting “you’ve been punked”. If only…
Upon recounting this story to a fellow volunteer who is actually an elementary school teacher she said “If it had been me, at that point everyone would have their heads on their desks and had to sit in silence for the rest of the class.” If only I had thought of that! Instead, I sat down on the floor in front of the class and started reading the book. Within 4 or 5 minutes, the kids were sitting on the floor around me listening to the story and now only complaining that they couldn’t see the pictures very well. Well, the one kid was still laying on the floor, but you can’t win them all over right? They did well until we had to switch activities and then it started all over again. Needless to say, I will not be looking to continue my career in elementary education. I hope everyone is doing well. Write me and let me know how you are doing!
Love,
Jenny

No comments: